Mediterranean Women Mediators Network (MWMN)
Do you have experience in mediation, peacemaking and peacebuilding in your community, or at a national, regional or international level? Are you keen to connect with other women to share your experiences of mediation and learn from each other? Are you passionate about expanding the space and opportunities for women in peace processes globally? Are you living and working in the Mediterranean region?
If so, you could join the Mediterranean Women Mediators Network (MWMN).
The MWMN is an initiative promoted and funded by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation in collaboration with the Rome-based International Affairs Institute (IAI) and Women in International Security (WIIS) Italy. It aims to fill a cooperation and capacity-building gap in the Mediterranean, one of the world’s most diverse and crucial regions.
Our network, among few other regional networks, works to bring together women active in the mediation field both at the grass-root, academic and political level across the Mediterranean region connecting local realities to global issues. The goal of the MWMN is to enhance opportunities and spaces for women’s meaningful inclusion in peace processes. The Network works as a community of practice and provides opportunities for women mediators to strengthen their existing capacities through peer to peer learning, mentoring and targeted training.
Since its foundation in 2017, the MWMN has been active in creating the space for experience sharing between its members promoting knowledge in the field of the UN Security Council Resolution 1325 on “Women, Peace and Security”. It conducted gender-sensitive mediation trainings as well as long-distance education programmes (webinars), and it has launched its first local antennas supporting mediation initiatives in the field.
Working together with the other existing Regional Women Mediator Networks, namely the African Leaders Network (FemWise), the Nordic Women Mediators Network (NWM) and the Network of Women Mediators Across the Commonwealth (WMC), a Global Alliance of Regional Women Mediator Networks was launched on September 2019, in the sidelines of the 74th UN General Assembly.
This year, particularly relevant for the “Women, Peace and Security” agenda as we celebrate the 20th anniversary since the adoption of UN SC Resolution 1325 in October 2000, the Network is planning more initiatives across the region, including a training on female leadership (“Inspiring Women Leaders”). Furthermore, it will continue to provide long-distance trainings with international experts and practitioners (webinars); peer-to-peer learning experiences; advocacy and awareness raising on the role of women as mediators and peacebuilders at the global, the regional and the local level.
As the project is growing, we are now inviting more women peacebuilders to join the network. We are seeking women from diverse backgrounds and geographic locations across the Mediterranean, who play an active role in mediating conflicts, both within communities and as part of official peace processes at national and regional levels, including experts on this field.
Would you like to apply to be a member of this network?
Membership is open to any women who are involved in mediation at the community, the national, the regional or the global level; who are interested in sharing their experience and expertise; and who are living or are citizens of a Mediterranean country.
Currently, we are specifically encouraging young women to apply.
The deadline is set to: April 17, 2020 at 23:59 CET
If we receive a large volume of applications, we may hold your application for future inclusion.
Interested applicants should meet the following criteria
- Identify as a woman;
- working on peacebuilding and diplomacy and/or have an expertise on one of the following subjects: conflict studies, transitional justice, natural resources, violent extremism, climate change, disarmament, gender and security (UN SCR 1325);
- live in a Mediterranean country and/or be a citizen of a Mediterranean country temporarily deployed abroad;
- be actively engaged in mediation at the community, the national, or the global level;
- have experience in mediation at large and the ability to work with and creatively resolve problems in complex conflict-affected contexts;
- have the ability to build trust between and within conflicting parties and create safe and inclusive spaces for dialogue and apply a gender sensitive approach;
- be willing to be an ‘Ambassador’ of the MWMN and commit to its founding principles and mission;
- be willing to travel and attend workshops and meetings in other countries on behalf of the Network.
Benefits of membership
- Have the opportunity to advocate for greater women’s participation in peace processes globally.
- Gain access to a community of practice.
- Have a range of learning opportunities, including peer-to-peer mentoring and participation in targeted trainings.
Members will be expected to
- Commit to the Network and contribute to the achievement of its objectives.
- Be willing to share their expertise and experiences with other members.
- Be willing and able to travel to attend workshops and meetings in their or other countries (at least 1 activity and 2 written contributions to the newsletter per year).
- Advocate on behalf of the Network in various fora at the local, the regional and the global level.
 The scope of the membership of the MWMN for the moment includes the following countries: Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Cyprus, Croatia, Egypt, France, Jordan, Greece, Israel, Italy, Kosovo, Lebanon, Libya, Malta, Morocco, Monaco, Montenegro, Palestine, Portugal, San Marino, Slovenia, Spain, Tunisia and Turkey.
Meet the MWMN members
Visit our MWMN Mediators page to find out more about the network members.
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Mediterranean Women Mediators Network
c/o IAI – WIIS ITALY
Via Angelo Brunetti 9,
00186 Rome, Italy